Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New Beginnings


So I am back in Zambia now and on a different path. I had to make some very hard decisions and go through some very hard times, but the Lord has been faithful through it all.



I am now volunteering at a local pre-school here with one of the women, Alice, from my church. We have been visiting families who have children at the school since many of them are orphans or vulnerable children and go to this school for free. Alice has a big heart and she gives so much even out of the little that she has. The houses we visited really amazed me even after living here for 5 months and visiting villages. It is amazing to me to see how people can live, but somehow they are sustained. I have also visited many of the families of the kids that are being sponsored. All of them had stories of how God miraculously provided for them and their faith is so amazing through all they have gone through. I will be visiting the boys’ home soon as well and hopefully continue the program that was started.



My living situation is not as scary now after some improvements, but still a huge adjustment. I actually live in a school building in one of the rooms. My room at least isn’t so scary anymore because I now have a lightbulb in (imagine electricity!), as well as a mosquito net (to also keep other scary bugs away like cockroaches which I see way too much), and a door with a lock (yeah I didn’t have a door), oh and a curtain on my window. The next project is putting a light in the bathroom (very scary at night) and a new plug in my room so I can use it. Still, all the appliances in the kitchen were stolen so there is nothing: no stove, no fridge, nothing. She cooks on this little makeshift stove and she buys meat each day since we don’t have a fridge. Also, I have to buy bottled water so I don’t get sick. The bathroom is scary looking, but somehow I manage by taking baths with a bucket, but there is only water coming from the tap twice a day at certain times, and sitting on a seatless toilet that a million kids use. Oh, and I don’t have a pillow J But, honestly by some miracle the Lord is giving me peace here as my room is much more cozy now and the girl I live with is a blessing. She really sacrifices to give to the kids at the school by giving up other comforts.



It has been so good to see all the people I have missed so much. I feel like I really have a family here and they have given me so much more than I could ever give them. Their hearts are so soft towards others and listening to the Lord. Please continue to pray for me as I try and find my new routine and adjust to the most recent changes. Please also pray for the families and children I am working with, that God would continue to provide for them and empower them in the gifts and talents He has given them. I pray they don’t ever give up hope. Thank you so much!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin,

Thanks for posting the update! Keep them coming so that we know how to pray for you. God bless you girl! What an awesome thing to do. May God go before you and keep you healthy and uplifted in spirit so that you can be His instrument for many children.

We love you!
Debi

Anonymous said...

Hey do you want me to mail you a pillow?

Love,
Michelle b.

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin

I think you are as much a soft hearted, giving person as those you have described in your blog. Praying for you is an honor! Keep up the Good work girl.

Yer bud
toad

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,

I'm so glad to here you are surviving. I was talking to Kayleen on the way up to Oakbridge the other day and she filled me in on some of the stuff you have been going through. You are such an amazing woman, with such a huge heart for the Lord. I'll keep you in my prayers, and keep on keeping us updated, I love to hear what you are up to!

Jon in HB said...

Do you have a mailing address where we could send teaching resources?