Sunday, December 2, 2007

Back in the States


I have arrived back in the U.S. and cannot believe I am on American soil again! My last month in Africa has been challenging and stretching. Before our November outreach team arrived, I traveled to Harare, Zimbabwe and Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, as well as prepare for the team and for my departure in both Zambia and Zimbabwe. Then we had our last outreach team right before I left. So, nonetheless it has been busy.

The boys we have been working with are doing very well. We have seen them grow so much in their faith and two of them have come to know the Lord! They have really connected with the young adults at my church and are excited to come by and see them at the youth center. They had a big soccer game with the youth at my church and they are excited to have another one. Also, while the team was here they visited them and we made a big meal for them. We danced and sang and just spent some good time with them. It is always good to see them smile. The young adults have continued this ministry and have become very passionate about it. This is so exciting to see.

I said goodbye to the deaf school and told them I hope to come back, this time with some hearing aids to donate. The teachers were sad to see me go as there is only one teacher for three grades right now so the extra hands are always good. It was very hard to say goodbye to the kids I have come to love so much.

The kids being sponsored are doing well. They were very excited to hang out with the team when they came and we all went together to visit an orphanage. They had so much fun playing with the kids and hearing a testimony from an orphan who came from Zimbabwe (Taps) and has since become an amazing worship leader in a big church there. The kids also wrote letters to their sponsors which they were all excited about as well, so those are coming. I brought them with me to deliver to all the sponsors. Other children were also interviewed so that we can continue with the program.

The team also visited the old people that I had been seeing every week. They are always excited to see visitors and dance and sing with them. I have grown such a heart for these people even though I thought that kids were my main focus. It was hard to say goodbye again knowing that some of them may not be there when I return.

The rest of the thanksgiving outreach was about sharing a meal with people in the rural villages and bringing them donations of seed, mosquito nets, bibles, and clothes. We had so much fun dancing and singing with the people of Africa. Here are my impressions that went up on the website where you can see more about this outreach…

“An act of Thanksgiving…this is a phrase that has really rang true this week as we have served people in the rural areas who hardly ever have visitors coming to serve them. We gave thanks to God by giving rather than receiving.

As we went to these villages and served a big meal with rice and meat which is very rare for them, the people were very thankful, especially in Zimbabwe where it is very hard to find food. Something I found similar in each village was that people were much more excited to receive seed to plant in order to keep receiving food. Each time we announced that we were giving them seed, the women would dance and sing and put these huge smiles on their faces. We also gave them mosquito nets and bibles to keep them safe from malaria and bring them closer to the Lord.

The biggest moment for me was when there was a woman in one of the villages who came forward to receive Christ and she had a demon. We all prayed over her and claimed her for Jesus and she was delivered. She collapsed into our arms crying and saying “thank you Jesus” in her language. It was so beautiful. I was blessed to be a part of that experience. I could never ask for a better Thanksgiving than what I experienced here in Africa. Thank you Lord for this time to sacrifice for you.”

This was such a special team. We worked together so well and for me it was such a good time to spend with girls my age and just laugh. I loved it.

So now I am back in the U.S. and have just attended “The Global Summit on AIDS & The Church” at Saddleback Church. We brought Pastors from Zambia and Zimbabwe to attend this with us and everyone has benefited from it. This has re-ignited my passion and made me excited for what is next in Africa. We had the privilege of hearing from the first lady of Zambia who now wants to partner with us, the first lady of Rwanda, and Hillary Clinton! There was also an amazing thing that happened where Wess Stafford, the president of Compassion International spoke. I really love this organization and admired the things he said. I told Glen I wanted to meet him because he runs this huge sponsorship organization and I knew I could really learn from him. Well, before Glen could find him, I found myself sitting next to him! We talked for awhile and he invited me to Colorado to come talk to him more about strategies. He was very excited to share with me! Then, we found out later that Ted, a man in my lifegroup who was a missionary for 25 years in Africa, lived in the same African village as Wess and hasn’t seen him in 40 years! Glen is very excited about all this and has told me it really shows I have the favor of God and that this is an amazing opportunity.
Besides all of this, I ask for your prayers about the timing of my return and the possible changes that will take place. I have so much appreciated the incredible encouragement and love that I have received during my time in Zambia as it has been hard adjusting to a new culture, making new friends and contacts, and starting a new ministry. It can get very discouraging, but God has been faithfully beside me. I have seen him fight for me and stand by me when no one else will. I have seen his hand guide me in very specific directions and I have seen him bring key people into my life at the exact time that I needed them. Africa has brought a fresh taste into my mouth of the Lord’s grace and love for me. I have learned even more about the importance of human relationships and the freedom to worship God. I have also learned so many practical things as a missionary and social worker that will build a foundation for whatever work I do in the future. Most of all, I have learned that it is not me doing the work, but God and so I cannot feel like a failure or like I am useless because ultimately I am just a vessel being used for His work.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now that you are back holler at your boy. I'm living in the LBC!
~Newby

Anonymous said...

Erin, This is really cool, what you are doing here!

I too have been to Victoria Falls. Isn't it beautiful? Probably one of my favorite places! Zambia too I have been to also, specifically a small town called Ndola. I have some very close friends that are from there that started a University there called Northrise University. Anyway, so cool for me to be reminded of the people there and what God is doing there, through you! Keep it up!

Signe Hillyard
REACH Associate